Skip to main content

Another ‘Dirty 30’ building to fall Monday

April 6, 2014

WOONSOCKET – The scorched shell of a triple-decker opposite Landmark Medical Center has a date with the wrecker’s ball today, the latest target of Mayor Lisa Baldelli-Hunt’s campaign to rid the city of a group of residential eyesores branded the Dirty Thirty.

The demolition of 40 Dulude Ave. is the second house to be torn down since the effort was announced several weeks ago. A third on South Main Street, also damaged by fire, was partially razed; the owners intend to fix up the house after having removed the third story, according to Baldelli-Hunt.

The city has stoked its demolition fund with $40,000, but Baldelli-Hunt said the anti-blight campaign is progressing nicely without having spent any of it. All of the work done so far has been undertaken voluntarily by the owners of the properties in question, including the first property that was razed in January, another fire-singed house that had lain vacant for two years.

“We’re still holding onto whatever we have, but I don’t mind spending it to eliminate blight if we have to,” said Baldelli-Hunt. “It’s worth it.”

Full story appears on page A1 of today's Call.

PAWTUCKET — While teammates in Double-A Portland, Matt Spring had the opportunity to catch...
BRISTOL, Conn.  – Cumberland American All-Stars mentor Dave Belisle received a phone...
A little of this a little of that…   As Red Sox management is already well aware...
The state beach concession stands cited for more than 70 food code violations last month were re-inspected Friday...
PROVIDENCE – Even if he had not withdrawn his high bid, Cranston state Rep. Peter Palumbo would not have been able to...
Fly strips hanging over food preparation areas; cans of clam chowder stored in restrooms; mold in ice machines; fish...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes